Tuesday, December 12, 2006

urban ku # 12 and a glimpse of what's to come


It was very foggy this morning in and around Au Sable Forks.

a glimpse: You may have noticed the white border around this photograph. That represents how I print my photographs. In this case, a 8x8 image on a 11x11 sheet. What's the point? you might ask.

Just this - soon after the first of the year (2007), The Landscapist will launch, on a sister site, the online photography gallery Through The Looking Glass and all of the photography (mine and others) will be displayed in the manner in which they are printed.

The Through The Looking Glass gallery will be based on the premise that the current gallery world has failed all but the most "favored" of photographers - photographers whose work is printed in limited editions and sold at very high prices (of which the galleries take a big percentage).

The Through The Looking Glass gallery's mission on the other hand is to put as much photography into the hands and on the walls of those who appreciate fine photography but don't have lots of $$$$ to spend - most prints will be available for under $50.00US (what Brooks Jensen calls "real people prices"). My suspicion is that "those who appreciate fine photography" are primarily photographers themselves, many or most of whom would love to "collect" photography but find it nearly impossible to do so at gallery-world prices. Sure, I'd love to own a Meyerowitz, an Eggleston, a Shore, et al, but honestly, I'd also like to own a Fredine, a Dennis, a Durbin, or a Lloyd-Jones amongst others. Some of you might even want to own a Hobson - one of mine or one of the other one's.

So, as I write, portfolios are being reviewed, invitations are being extended, a website is being created - similar to IRISf64, an online ad presence, and plans for a gala virtual opening show (bring your own wine, cheese and shrimp) are being made.

Please submit a portfolio (a link to your work) if you are interested in being represented on Through The Looking Glass.

FYI, This photograph, Gordon Oil, ~ Au Sable Forks, NY, is available for $25.00US for as long as this post is on the front page. The print measures 11.7x11.7 with a centered 7.5x7.5 image. It is printed with ultrachrome pigment inks on Epson Enhanced Matte paper. Each print is numbered (open edition) and signed. Contact me to purchase.

FEATURED COMMENT: Mary Dennis wrote: "...I just might have to smash open my piggy bank next year! The thought of owning and actually holding some real prints, from real people at real people prices, makes me giddy."

Yo Mary, I couldn't agree with you more. As I mentioned, I suspect that there is vast untapped market of photographers (primarily) who feel the same way. The wonderful world wide web of photoblogs and photo websites is good as far it goes, but fine photography, like any other art, is best experienced firsthand.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now [i]this[/i] is exciting news Mark! I just might have to smash open my piggy bank next year! The thought of owning and actually holding some real prints, from real people at real people prices, makes me giddy. I can't wait to see the design you come up with.

12/12/2006 08:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorites thus far. I know you're tall, but were you standing on a ladder? The strange "dreamlike" perspective is what is drawing me in to this image.

or maybe it was a bad mix of the fumes and the fog?

12/12/2006 08:42:00 PM  
Blogger gravitas et nugalis said...

no ladders or tricks - however, you might notice that the truck on the left has sunk quite a bit...

12/12/2006 08:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes!!!!!!! I can't wait....

On the subject of presentation, I have always found it a little strange that borders and frames are considered somewhat separate from photographs. Since part of the effect that a photograph has is in how the eyes of the viewer move around the photograph, and since the border and frame can have an effect on this, the border and frame should be considered integral to the image.

12/12/2006 09:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the really, really, short, small building "thing" is warping everything out of wack to my eye too...everytime I look at it, somethings seems odd? I wouldn't mind santa dropping one of these off this year...(hint hint nudge nudge).

12/12/2006 10:04:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool! Might be interesting to have some mechanism for a print swap as well.

12/13/2006 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger sicophant said...

Very exciting, indeed. And I like Ana's idea of print swapping.

12/14/2006 11:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks