Thursday, October 26, 2006

Artistically well-grounded ideas of reality?

re: The phrase artistically well-grounded idea of reality - The Katrina aftermath photographs of Dan Burkholder and Katherine Wolkoff are attracting a fair amount of attention. Both have taken "artistic" licence with the subject - Burkholder to a much more dramatic degree (extreme HDR treatment) than Wolkoff, who works in the Joel Meyerwitz Cape Light?Aftermath tradition.

Either way, the photographs are quite beautiful.

Katherine Wolkoff - click through the slide show to see the Katrina photos. Dan Burkholder - a gallery with some Katrina (New Orleans) photos (click to enlarge).

Wolkoff is featured in the Fall 2006 issue of Aperture. Burkholder, along with a detailed description of his HDR techniques, is featured in the Sept/Oct issue of Camera Arts.

Any thoughts?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the article in CameraArts on Dan Burkholder. At first, I wasn't even sure they were photographs until I read the article and saw his technique. Very interesting. They are really intriguing in that they look like an illustration to me, rather than a photograph. What I mean, is like a watercolor filled line drawing or etching. There is an unreal quality to them, to me, even after seeing how he does them. I kind of like that phrase, "artistically well-grounded ideas of reality." It suits his style.

I think I may come back to this later.

10/26/2006 11:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks