Saturday, October 14, 2006

Rob White ~ a "happy shot"


This shot was what I call a "happy shot"-one that I grabbed that turned out somewhat decently. My wife and I were on the way to Highlands, N.C. When we came on Moon Lake dam. From the road, you can see almost a mile across the lake it forms, and my intent was to try to get level with the top of the dam and take a shot showing the lake stretching on forever-or so I thought. Instead, I saw that I could scramble down a roughly seventy-five foot deep path and get to the river bottom at the base of the dam.

This is what I saw, and what I photographed.

What attracted me was the pattern of the water falling off the dam in kind of a "diamond rope" pattern. What I got was that AND the tumult of the rocks to the right side. I hope this photo gives all of you the pleasure it has given me, and I look forward to sending some good shots when my skills improve.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,

I applaud your choice to NOT render the water in slow motion silk. Don't think it would have been effective here anyway...if it ever is really, in my opinion. The "Z" line is a powerful grab in this and the textures within it are beautiful.

10/16/2006 07:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob,
I agree. I am not a fan of the super silky water. Some places it needs to be like this. The power of the water just screams to be shown. This is shown perfectly here. Well done! This has an effective composition as well. I hope to see more from you.

10/17/2006 01:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very exciting image. I too like how the water is rendered here.

10/17/2006 09:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks