Thursday, January 11, 2007

re: Photo Submissions

photocapcod wrote (in part): "If you ask for submissions, you should be posting them. If you don't intend to post the other people's photographs, don't ask for them...."

Steve Durbin wrote (in part): "I like seeing other photographers here, but I think the curatorial function is important...."

Let me clarify. I do want photo submissions. I do intent to publish as many of them as I (the curator) judge to be either pertinent to topics at hand or feasible - feasible, as in, I can't possibly publish them all.

Please remember that this is a personal blog about photography, not a post-at-will photo forum. As today's post of Rarindra Prakarsa's photographs demonstrates, the blog is not all about my photography. It is indeed about the photography of others as well. However, like a magazine publisher/editor, I reserve the right to edit content.

Re: content - While I certainly draw attention to particular photographers and photographs, the photographs that I am most interested in are those that, whatever their referent/connoted (content/form) merits may be, draw attention to issues and ideas about the medium of photography (and by extension, Art) itself.

So, please continue to keep the cards and letters coming...BUT...if offense will be taken or ill-will engendered if photographs aren't published, perhaps it is better all the way around not to send submissions.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first thing that came to my mind Mark when you mentioned you were going to accept photo submissions at your new blog was "I wonder how he's gonna manage that, and choose what to publish? He can't possibly publish everything that gets submitted." I think you have to keep in mind what the purpose of your blog is, what your photographic philosophies are, make them clear, and keep working within those parameters. I regard this blog as a sort of magazine with a (somewhat) specific set of goals and ideals and you, as the editor, have the right to pick and choose what you think works toward expressing those. Isn't that the way it works in the paper world?

1/11/2007 09:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Mary. That was my impression too, that this was your "magazine" of sorts and that you choose what fits what you want to publish. There's no hard feelings on my part if you don't want to post my photos for any reason and I think others who submit shouldn't be upset if you choose not to publish theirs or maybe you wait until the submissions fall into what topic you happen to be talking about.

1/12/2007 01:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I re-read this post that I attached my comment to, I see you already have the magazine/publisher/editor idea thing going on. Guess I glanced over your words rather quickly....Anyway, I think that's a good way to
approach your blog but the format is still a little clunky in my opinion.

And , yeah, I almost always type the letters correctly the first time and it still makes me do it again!!

1/12/2007 12:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks