Wednesday, November 01, 2006

ku # 432


The tamaracs are in "bloom". In the Adirondacks we have a couple of "shoulder" seasons - times of the year between peak tourism times when things quiet down a bit. In the spring it's called the "mud" season. In the late fall/early winter there is no official name that I know of, but I like to think of it as Tamarac Time. A quiet get-ready-to-cozy-up transition time between the annual Spectacle of the Flaming Leaves and the beginning of the serious ski season.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It may be another variation of mud season, but at least, in my opinion, most plant life here in the NE seems to decay gracefully. I personally enjoy the subtle tones of gold and brown found this time of year mixed with the fading greens and some pale burgundies and such thrown in here and there. Then there are a few scarlet berries to catch the eye that are gone by the official mud season, which I think is much drearier and dirtier with muddy melting snow and ice mixed in and no flowers yet. I prefer this time. I think this photo has a nice mix of fading greens to gold and the golden tamarack needles as well as the nice texture of the lichen on the trunk too. I like the peeping feel to this too.

11/01/2006 10:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks