Friday, December 15, 2006

ku # 445 - it's a pure-y


Late yesterday afternoon - along the shore of Lake Champlain, gazing at Vermont (after a round of golf). If you look at the larger version, you can make out just a hint of the Green Mts. on the right horizon.

I now realize, after a clarifying round of mid-December-northern-latitude-shirt-sleeve golf, and after reading your comments (thank you, thank you, thank you),that I might not have been very precise in meaning with my use of the phrase pure landscape photography. Upon further consideration, I think Steve Durbin had it close to correct when he wrote, "...photography that at least does not foreground human structures or impact." - heavy on the the "natural", hold, or at least, easy on the man.

The natural world still holds mystery and majesty (for me anyways, can't speak for others). Therefore, I guess what I'm looking for out there on the infotainment highway is landscape photography that can recognise that mystery and majesty without resorting to that "particular romantic notion of the world" (sappy sentimentality) that so defined the traditional/pure landscape photography of the last century - photography that looks at the mystery and majesty with "new eyes".

From the shameless self promotion department comes this - I think that that's what I'm doing (or attempting to do) with my ku. As a somewhat anonymous Steve (not Durbin) wrote in response to my obervation/question, "One of the most compelling qualities of your ku series is its iconoclasm, facilitated by your use of the vignette action: there's an elevation of the mundane that's (for lack of a better word) haunting."

Thanks Steve. That sums it up nicely. Mind if I use it as my Artist's Statement?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture is right on topic: centered horizon and centered subject, the tree which connects the land to the sky, echoing and tying together stalks, brambles, and clouds all at once. That's what it's all about.

As a newcomer to your blog, I'm not sure whether there is a particular notion behind what you call "ku." Is it what you articulated in your post? Have you talked about the term somewhere before?

12/15/2006 07:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,
This might be one of my favs of yours. Something about the scrunchiness (if that is a word) of the apple and the brambles tickles me the right way as well as that late afternoon light. I love late afternoon light for some reason. Maybe because I was born in the afternon? I don't know, but I do know that there is something about this one that I just love, but can't quite put my finger on it. I hope you have it in your new Looking Glass Gallery. I miight have to get me one.

12/18/2006 07:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks