Thursday, December 21, 2006

Michael Gordon ~ Windblown Grass


Mr. Hobson: my name is Michael Gordon (you may have heard of me). I photograph primarily in b/w, but always in 4x5. I'm no fan either of comments such as "I like the BW effect" and "This would be a good photograph to convert to BW", so I submit to you a genuine made-on-film-and developed-in-pyro photograph of mine for The Landscapist. I believe that good b/w photography is a way of seeing BEFORE the shutter is clicked (or sensor sensed?). I'll submit that *it's too late* if the b/w idea comes as an afterthought to the exposure.

publisher's comment: Who is this guy? Anybody heard of him? Mr. Gordon claims that this photograph along with 3 others of his will be published in the Jan/Feb issue of View Camera magazine. He also stated that the photograph was "scheimflugged for your pleasure" - an obvious attempt to influence the selection committee. It worked.

See more of Mr. Gordon's BW photography

FEATURED COMMENT: Jim Jirka wrote: "Welcome to the Landscapist, Michael..... Wow, you really still use 4x5 film? Your camera must be really big."

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

MG,

Looks good! Congrats on the VC Mag photos too! BTW, stay on them for payment, I never received a payment when they printed my story and photos.

12/21/2006 02:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Landscapist, Michael. What a refreshing change to the converted B&W images. Wow, you really still use 4x5 film? Your camera must be really big. ;-)

12/21/2006 02:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael,
It is so good to see your work here! I have always loved your B&Ws. Is this a new piece? It makes me want to lay down in that grass that looks so soft, yet textured at the same time. Your photo of some trees in Scotland, I believe it was, still haunts me. It was so mysterious.

I too believe you have to see the scene in B&W before you click the shutter. I started off in B&W, although it was 35mm. It is still holds a place in my heart.

12/21/2006 02:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like your shout out worked Mark. You got a guy who definitely knows his black and white. This is so tactile Michael. I want to jump right in there, sit and listen and (for lack of a better word) pet the grass.

I like what you say too; "that good black and white photography is a way of seeing BEFORE the shutter is clicked (or sensor sensed.)" I don't think B&W conversion can be done well on a whim. The qualities that make it effective go much deeper, in my opinion, than the stroke of a few keys. The recent photographs of Scott Schroeder on NPN come to mind. It seems to be a way of thinking, seeing and feeling for him. He shoots with a 5D but it appears to go beyond simple conversion. It must be his way of seeing and conveying, at least of late.

12/21/2006 05:55:00 PM  
Blogger sicophant said...

This has always been my favorite of yours, Michael. Thanks for sharing it again.

Oh, and I love your website upgrade. Nice job.

12/21/2006 08:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael,

Have you considered converting this to color? J/K.

Seriously, I have long admired your work (as I have told you other places on the web), including this image. It's a peaceful scene...but in the back of my mind I know something violent caused it to look the way it does. Perhaps that juxtaposition is why I like it so much? (not to stray from photography into psychology).

Anyway.

3/23/2007 05:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks