Saturday, December 16, 2006

Lisa Gimber ~ Caddo Lake


Caddo Lake to me is like the Adirondack Mountains are to you. One of these years I'm going to buy a Go-Devil boat so that I can travel through those swamps whenever I feel like it and hopefully get a decent exposure. Here's a shot from last month that I like. I'm not the best composer or focuser? and still don't know how to use my camera well. Am very intimidated by what everybody else posts...Just want you to see my "Adirondack."

Publisher's comment: As far as I know Lisa Gimber has no online presence except for an occasional photo posting on one of the online nature photography forums. She has - very infrequently - sent me a few photographs asking for my opinion/advice. Lisa thinks that she is not a very good photographer, which I attribute to the fact that she doesn't know much about the "rules" and her photographs evidence that (refreshing) lack of "knowledge". That's why I like what I see - her photographs create an almost child-like (IMO, a very good thing) feeling of curiousity and observation, almost as if she is seeing something for the first time. At least, that's the experience I feel when I view her photographs.

Thanks for the submission Lisa.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I don't think I'd even wait for a boat, unless there were lots of alligators about. I love the blue shadows on the green water with the brown leaves showing. The Spanish moss (I guess?) is like a cloud hung from above.

12/16/2006 05:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This gives me an incredible sense of the place. The density of it is almost overwhelming. Not necessarily beautiful... but the backlight certainly helps to relieve the oppression that might be felt on darker days and when the sun goes down. Lisa, don't worry about the rules. You are able to see fine despite them.

12/17/2006 02:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm blushing, Mark! :-)

Steve, I'll go out there again without a boat. There's some nice views from the state parks in both Louisiana and Texas. Thank you for saying you love the blue shadows!

Thank you, Kent!

12/17/2006 09:18:00 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

A lot of people tend to associate the name 'swamp' with something negative. Time and time again there are images that prove just the opposite. Your image makes this place very inviting - the greens and blues are wonderful.

12/17/2006 02:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,
The soft blues and greens are great, but what I like best are the backlit hanging moss. This must be a wonderland to explore!

12/17/2006 10:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Mark and Michelle. This is a very magical place especially in the spring when there are what seems like miles of water lily pads and in the summer when fields of lotuses are blooming everywhere. Sometimes it's heaven and sometimes it's hell to photograph depending upon where the sun is. You can be deep in the shade of a cypress forest on that lake and just beyond the trees that surround you the reflection of the sun on the Spanish moss creates an HDR nightmare. I love it!

12/18/2006 01:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks