Friday, December 01, 2006

Tidbits

I hope that photography (with its power to portray the real world) can start to move toward understanding, appreciating, and portraying the common wonders of the world, rather than just the special wonders of the world.

and,

It has come to the point that landscape photography seems to exist in a world of perpetual sinrises and sunsets, as though the ordinary experience of living does not in and of itself constitute a remarkable experience.

both quotes - John Paul Caponigro

FEATURED COMMENT: Ian wrote: "I think the sentiments also apply to life in general, the tendency to go through life without really experiencing or appreciating the continuous moments of living, instead focusing on the highlights, the 'sunrises' and 'sunsets' of experience, and trying to forget the lowlights.

publisher's comment - d'accord...

If the publisher chose to be self-serving, he could also include that Ian also wrote, "I think this is one of the reasons that I find your ku's so compelling. To me they capture the experience of being in the moment, that is, they capture what I experience when I am fully appreciating and understanding the landscape that I am at a particular moment part of."

3 Comments:

Blogger Ian Painter said...

Hi Mark,

both quotes are very fine words indeed. I think the sentiments also apply to life in general, the tendency to go through life without really experiencing or appreciating the continuous moments of living, instead focusing on the highlights, the 'sunrises' and 'sunsets' of experience, and trying to forget the lowlights.

I think this is one of the reasons that I find your ku's so compelling. To me they capture the experience of being in the moment, that is, they capture what I experience when I am fully appreciating and understanding the landscape that I am at a particular moment part of.

cheers
Ian

12/01/2006 09:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
National Geographic Adventure Magazine is doing a story on "Big Weather" for our March issue. I noticed you had some images on the Wickaninnish Inn. We will be writing about the Inn as well as Tofino, BC. We are looking for images of coastal storms and coastal storm watching from these areas. We are also looking for images of coastal storm watching in :

Long Beach Unit of Pacific Rim National Park
Schooner and Spruce Fringe Trails
and also the Wick's Pointe Restuarant.
Do you have any images to send my way for review? Please advise at your earliest convience.
Best wishes,
Kara





Kara Fox
National Geographic Adventure Magazine
104 West 40th Street, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10018
212.790.9041
KFox@ngs.org

12/01/2006 10:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe gravitas was just at the Long Beach Unit of Pacific Rim National Park just the other day, weren't you?

12/04/2006 05:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks