Thursday, November 02, 2006

Kevin Schlosser ~ Rainy Lens Series


A long time ago, in a land far, far away, I used to race BMX bikes (35-and-over Cruiser Class) with my kids. As is typical of much of what I get involved with, I became a bit obsessive and we competed on the national curcuit where I reached a # 17 (national) ranking. Fun times - including 3 days in the Lewisport, PA hospital - and we met many cool people.

Kevin Schlosser (and his dad) were amongst the coolest. When I last saw Kevin, he was leaving Pittsburgh, PA for Seattle, WA. He had graduated from the Pittsburgh Art Institute, and had spent some time doing freelance illustration (and a little photo assisting for me). I don't know if he does much illustration anymore, but he has taken up photography with a vengeance.

Apparently, rather than living the adventure-filled life of a starving artist, Kevin has got himself a steady job (as the Beatles sang) a number years ago as a delivery person for a bakery. The Rainy Lens photographs are created as he drives around making deliverys in the rain. Seattle provides plenty of opportunity to do so. As the cliche goes, he's making lemonade out of what many in the photography world would consider to be lemons.

I am impressed with the fact that, unlike many "amateurs", he understands the notion of "body" of work. He has several. You can see more of his Rainy Lens photography here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love these! Mark, do you remember my stormy drive home series! These remind me of those, only much better! Funny thing is, just a couple of weeks ago, I did a couple of more rainy day, through the windshield images with a twist, so to speak, with my lensbaby, so they are doubly warped and fun! These are so nice, like a runny watercolor painting with such rich, saturated colors.

11/02/2006 05:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really cool idea. Something that maybe I should have thought of. Seaatle does have it's rain, that is for sure. I wouldn't have it any other way.

The rest of his project works are just so thought provoking.

I will be sure to bookmark his site.

11/03/2006 03:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks