Tuesday, November 07, 2006

ku # 437


Urban landscapes of the postmodern kind most often connote a sense of coolness and alienation. And deservedly so - modern urban architecture and environments tend to reflect the corporatization of American life - sterile, efficient, no-nonsense, and bottom line/to-the-point. The fact that modern buildings devoted to commerce are also "secure" and, in effect, "gated" creates a moated-fortress mental wall that is very emotionally islolating.

Amazingly, at least to me, is the fact that, for the spend-and-get worker-drones, the beat just goes on (seemlily unquestioned and/or, worse yet, un-noticed), and on, and on....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes. I agree. One of the reasons a large part of me dreads finding a "real" job. Since I've been out of work, I've had fewer migraines and no colds, flus, etc. I've been emotionally more stable than ever before and I feel I've grown spritually and internally towards a more complete human being, by being away from that whole 7:30 - 5:00 workplace stress (no such thing as 9:00 to 5:00 anymore). I don't want to be a worker bee stuck in the hive anymore! Don't lock me in! I don't want to have to show an ID Card to get in to the place anymore! I don't want to have a security code to get in to the building anymore! This photo with it's old fashioned metal gate visually brings back those feelings for me. Even though it is a nicely made gate, a gate is a gate! It keeps you in and out.

11/07/2006 03:42:00 PM  
Blogger gravitas et nugalis said...

"..a gate is a gate..." - true enough, but this one is open and because of that. it seems to inviting me in to explore without any hassle.

11/07/2006 03:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, this one is open at this moment...

11/07/2006 04:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks